Monday, August 11, 2008

It's in the air

Can you smell it? Heat, sweat, mud & grass engulfs my mind and senses. First week of August a new found retreat. It's all encompassing, frustrating and wonderful. Football physicals, is this guy really a doctor? This is my life seventeen and a half years ago. It seems only yesterday that we made trips to football fields. Tension and relief, will they be OK? How many miles put on the "Red Sled"? Why can't we turn back the pages of time and revisit those moments? Mom always said, "enjoy this time in your life, your going to miss this." Unsure of what she meant I tried to treasure those moments. Meet at Mickey D's on State Street at 5:30 a.m. Is this really something I'm going to miss? Doubting at the time, but she was right. Doug's introduction to the game at five months of age. Carried in a baby back pack we'd walk the field, mom needed to loose some baby pounds. Oh, the scent of hot evenings & grass. We loved it, did we tell each other how much? Willy running the field, trying to keep up with his big brother. Wanting so badly to play too. Brought his bike so that he'd get out of the way. Did Mitch know how much he was loved by his brother? Time to go, pungent smells in the Red Sled. Damn door won't slide across. It's a new car it should have worked, been repaired before. Mustn't cuss. Cheers and tears, as the game played out. Injuries, ready to go in? A mothers need to rush the field and give relief. Look the other way and take a deep breath. Gun shot, end of quarter, "my God I think they've shot him." Red Sled now gone, little boys grown. Replaced by new adventures in a bright new August. Found some mud and grass today, I think I'll give it a whiff. Aw,, it's in the air.

1 comment:

My name is Willy said...

I finally read it! haha.

It brings back memories as well.